Happy October, everyone!
For the uninitiated, this is my monthly roundup of links from my Gunter and Bean Facebook Page, which I use to share the news, links and articles that captivate me. The benefit of checking here is that I’ll have them sorted by topic. The downside is that you miss my commentary. Or maybe that’s a benefit too, I’m not sure.
I hope you enjoy! I look forward to hearing your comments, questions, and suggestions for other things to read!
- Photos from the final prep session of The Martyrdom of Old St. Nick via Josh Winegarner
- I made this Ellaria Sands costume for my friend for Rose City Comicon. She made the jewelry and provided the ‘tude.
- I tortured myself because I thought it would be a good idea via Gunter and Bean
- Bandalettes Giveaway – There’s still time to sign up! via The Militant Baker
- I’m not okay, neither are you via the Sydney Morning Herald
- 4 Rituals That Will Make You Happy, According to Neuroscience via Time
- On “Doing It for Attention” via Rookie
- Five Studies: Why IUDs Are Poised to Become the Future of Birth Control via Pacific Standard
- We Need To Start Letting People Define Their Body Without Refuting Their Truth via Ravishly
- #PLUSISNOTEQUAL via Fat Girl Flow
- Why Can’t a Smart Woman Love Fashion? via Elle
- This Trans Waitress Had The Perfect Response To A Child Asking ‘Are You A Boy Or A Girl?’ via Huffington Post
- The TSA’s discriminatory policies on trans people are even worse than you think via Daily Dot
- Matt Damon Should Have Kept His Mouth Shut, Again via Salon
- 6 Tips for Shifting from a White Feminist to an Intersectional Feminist via Wear Your Voice
- 9 Ways We Can Make Social Justice Movements Less Elitist and More Accessible via Everyday Feminism
- Trying to follow what is going on in Syria and why? This comic will get you there in 5 minutes via Upworthy
- Let’s welcome Pope Francis by rejecting unbridled capitalism via Al Jazeera (still a good article, it was posted with my support prior to hearing about his private meeting with Kim Davis)
Humor, Fun Stuff and Miscellaneous Reads:
- Why It Matters That Marvel Studios Just Escaped Its Eccentric Billionaire C.E.O. via Vanity Fair
- ‘The To Do List’: The Movie I’ve Been Waiting For via Bitch Flicks
- The Real Story of Linda Taylor, America’s original Welfare Queen via Slate
- “I Want to Slap His Hideous, Beautiful Face”: Sexual Awakenings and First Crushes in ‘Bob’s Burgers’ via Bitch Flicks